Her father’s passion for travel meant that the small family travelled extensively around Europe. Between 1833 and 1856, they took at least one trip a year, travelling by coach, train and ship – always accompanied by their staff and pet dogs.
In 1855, the Holthuysens purchased Herengracht 605 – the building that now houses Museum Willet-Holthuysen. Mrs Holthuysen passed away suddenly in 1856 and two years later, Louisa also bade farewell to her father. She inherited the family home and its contents, and lived in the canal-side house until 1861 with her pets, lady's companion Mathilde Kleinmann and the rest of her staff. In 1861, Louisa married Abraham Willet, and together they redecorated the house in the prevailing French fashion, sparing no expense or effort.