When the master or the mistress needed a carriage, the houseboy rang a bell on the terrace near the kitchen. The coachman swiftly made the preparations and drove the spotless horse-drawn carriage to the front door of Herengracht 605, where he picked up the residents and took them to their chosen destination.
The coach house covered the area from the 'kink' to the right (visible in the photo) to the back of the garden, alongside Amstelstraat. In 1929, after the house had become Museum Willet-Holthuysen, the coach house burned down and was never rebuilt. This is why Museum Willet-Holthuysen now has such an unusually large garden. The current 18th-century garden design was planted many years later in 1973.